The role of Civil Engineer plays a key role in the successful execution of projects. This person will primarily focus on projects in the Greater Twin Cities area. In this market area, there are opportunities to work on a variety of projects in various industry sectors such as multifamily, commercial, municipal, education, and retail. In this role, this person will also act as a project manager and civil task leader on projects by leading the work of the project team and being responsible for a high level of customer satisfaction by ensuring expectations are professionally and clearly communicated and managed – both externally and internally. This person will contribute to the team environment by being proactive, communicating clearly to all stakeholders, and modeling a highly collaborative working environment.
Civil Engineers have experience in the industry and rely on their experience in making decisions to complete assigned responsibilities. A Civil Engineer may lead a sole discipline or multi-discipline project, be the lead designer on a project and assist team members on all-size projects. This person will manage projects, contribute and manage the design, and select resources for a project. A Civil Engineer will also support the business development process, by contributing to proposals and attending meetings with prospective and current customers.
Has a high level of knowledge related to civil site design as it relates to Retail development and K-12
Will grow into being the client contact for assigned projects.
Understands critical factors needed to complete the tasks assigned, where critical factors are
unknown the project manager asks the team leader or client for clarity.
Work with team members, management and project stakeholders to determine accurate budgets and schedules.
Ensures projects are set up accurately in Ajera with adequate information.
Is responsible for ensuring project goals are met by managing project schedules, budgets and
production of assigned discipline and among disciplines on multi-discipline projects.
Qualifications And Experience:
- Certificate or diploma from a college, university, or technical/community college in a related area and at least 10+ years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience in civil site design.
- In-depth knowledge of applicable codes and standards
- Preferred experience for project types such as K-12 Education, Multi-family housing and Site Development.
- Able to identify different pieces of equipment for all disciplines and understand their function and use.
- Advanced working knowledge of and proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD Civil 3D, HydroCAD, MIDs, and Bluebeam.
- Familiarity with Infraworks is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Is able and willing to work 40 hours or more per week.
- Able to travel by car when needed for site visits, client visits, department meetings, etc.
- Client focus to build effective relationships or perpetuate existing client relationships.
- Strong planning skills and attention to detail.
- Effective problem-solving skills and the ability to adapt to changes.
- Effective leadership, delegation, and organizational skills.
- Competencies & Characteristics
- Personal Development and Effectiveness
- Displays a commitment to continued learning and self-development.
- Asks for and uses feedback to improve performance.
- Seeks and acquires new competencies, work methods, ideas, and information that will improve own efficiency and effectiveness on the job.
- Continually searching and expressing ideas for better ways to perform routine tasks.
Is the client contact for the assigned project.
Coordinates resource needs with Team Leaders and effectively defines expectations when delegating work to support staff.
Provides work direction and coordination to sub-contractors/consultants.
Coordinates with all consultants to ensure needed information is being provided in a timely fashion and all parties are aware of due dates and deliverables required.
Provide design support on all projects.
Coordinates preparation and delivery of project deliverables.
Communicate regularly with Team Leader of any significant challenges, deviations from scope, budget challenges or incidents that occur on projects.
Provide QC review on projects. Reviews drawings and researches code requirements to comply with city, state, and county regulations
Provide and coordinate construction administration tasks, such as review of contractor submittals, construction observation, punch lists and field support during startup and commissioning.
Nurture existing client relationships and form new client relationships.
Support the business development process by initiating, developing and assisting with
proposals, meeting and interviewing prospective customers, etc.
Actively participates in the development of staff through work on projects and serves as a trainer, mentor and resource for junior staff.
Maintain current knowledge of technologies and trends as they apply to the applicable project,
market types and strengthen design and management skills.